“When you can read a book, read a poem, take walks together, that is love.”
That is what my dad told me one time.
“When you can be alone together,” he said, “That is love.”
He was right.
My dad is a pretty cool guy.
Alone and Together is a serial I wrote in 2012, three years after meeting my husband, David. It tells the story of our meeting and of my realization that being married isn’t all that terrible.
I can be married, and still be me.
Here is the full list of installments.
Part One: Alone
- Prologue: Dear Reader
- Part One: Your Instincts Are Probably Right
- Part Two: Love Is All You Need—Sort Of
- Part Three: It’s Okay To Be Sad
- Part Four: Don’t Settle for Eyes That Don’t Glow
- Part Five: Don’t Want Too Much
- Part Six: Love Is Not Art
- Part Seven: Friendship Is Number One
- Part Eight: Love at First Sight Is Real
- Part Nine: This Is What It’s Like to Be a Woman
- Part Ten: When It’s True Love, You Have to Turn the Car Around
- Part Eleven: Don’t Fall in Love with Your Brother
- Part Twelve: It’s Okay to Have Fun
- Part Thirteen: Love Is Just a Feeling
- Part Fourteen: Being Alone Is Good
- Part Fifteen: It’s Okay to Be Strange
- Part Sixteen: It Is So Good To Be Free
- Part Seventeen: It’s Okay to Be Strange, Part Two
- Part Eighteen: Being Married Is Nice . . .
- Part Nineteen: . . . But Make Sure You Marry Someone Nice
Part Two: Together
- Part Twenty: It’s Okay to Want What You Don’t Have
- Part Twenty-One: Even Atheists Are Kind
- Part Twenty-Two: Say Out Loud What You Need
- Part Twenty-Three: Always Remember How Lucky You Are
- Part Twenty-Four: Love Is a Form of Worship
- Part Twenty-Five: It’s Wrong to Get Annoyed
- Part Twenty-Six: If He’s Not Your Best Friend, You Have No Chance
- Part Twenty-Seven: Don’t Be Like Other People
- Part Twenty-Eight: Apologies are Amazing
- Part Twenty-Nine: When You’re Struggling, Admit It
- Part Thirty: Develop a System That Works
- Part Thirty-One: Expect Change
Part Three: Alone and Together
- Part Thirty-Two: Beware of Middle Age
- Part Thirty-Three: Know–Really Know–You’re Good Enough
- Part Thirty-Four: You Can Be Whatever You Want to Be
- Part Thirty-Five: Think Deeply and Be Alive
- Part Thirty-Six: This, THIS, Is Love
Want More? Subscribe to Any of My Serials (Including This One) With Just an Email Address and a Click:
- Three Kids, No Car: One Year of Living Authentically, Even Though I Can Afford Not To
- Disastrous Inventions: Stories About Motherhood, Marriage, Weight Loss, Self-Improvement, Spirituality and Other Disastrous Inventions
- Fights You'll Have After Having a Baby: A Novel
- Books I Want My Kids to Read Someday